Originally, the plan was to build the rail line from Victoria to [[Port Alberni]] for passenger and freight service. This included a Victoria to [[Patricia Bay]] line with a ferry service from Pat Bay to [[Port Mann]] (on the [[Fraser River]] in [[Surrey, British Columbia|]]. In 1911 work had begun on the up-Island rail, construction was slow throughout the years due to issues. The Pat Bay line started construction in 1913 and was completed in 1916 and by 1917 the Patricia subsidiary from Victoria was opened for passenger service. Sometime that year, the V&S and CNP were linked at Bazan bay. In late 1918 the rail line was under the new [[crown corporation]], the Canadian National Railway. The government at this time had no compulsion to provide a passenger service from Vancouver Island to the mainland, instead CN would serve freight on the island. The ferry that the ex-CNP ordered arrived that same year from Quebec. It went into refit and by 1919 the ferry was in service for the Patricia Bay line for freight. That same year passenger services ended on the Pat bay line, freight continued. The Victoria and Sidneys section from Bazan bay to Sidney became part of the CNP in 1919. By 1932 <!--is this the name of the ferry?--> is withdrawn, two years later the Sidney Mill burned down. In 1935 the track is abandoned and removed.
Construction continued though up island and by the spring of 1924 the tracks had reached the east end of Cowichan Lake. By 1928, the track reached Kissinger but by this time, the plan to continue to Port Alberni was abandoned.