Dom Prasy (Polish for "Press House") was a [[Poland|Polish]] news corporation of the 1920s and 1930s, as well as a name of the eponymous building in Warsaw, where it had its' headquarters. It published numerous daily newspapers and weekly journals. Taken over by the Germans during World War II, the company's assets became the cornerstone of the [[Nowy Kurier Warszawski]] propaganda newspaper. After the war the Dom Prasy's assets became the foundation of several modern newspapers, including [[Życie Warszawy]].
== Company ==
The company was founded in 1922 as a private venture. The titles and mastheads of most titles were printed in red, which gained the company a popular nick-name of Czerwona prasa or Koncern Czerwonej Prasy - the Red Press [[Concern (business)|]].refref In the 1930s the company published and printed numerous daily newspapers: [[Kurier Czerwony]], [[Expres Poranny]], [[Dobry Wieczór - Kurier Czerwony]] and [[Dzień Dobry]].ref In addition, the company also published numerous weeklies, including [[Panorama 7 dni]], [[Cyrulik Warszawski]], and [[Przegląd Sportowy]].ref
In 1934 the company was taken over by the [[government of Poland]] and since then most of its' titles became supportive of the ruling [[Sanacja]] regime.ref In 1939, following the Nazi and Soviet [[Invasion of Poland]], all Polish newspapers were disbanded by the German authorities and the company ceased to exist. Its' assets were taken over by the German propaganda [[Nowy Kurier Warszawski]], the largest newspaper in German-occupied Poland.
4 lines hidden (551 characters)
== Building ==
The building commonly referred to as "Dom Prasy" was originally built between 1890 and 1892 on a triangular plot of land between [[Marszałkowska]] and Str., at the southern outskirts of Warsaw, close to the [[Pole Mokotowskie]].refref
The main building, designed for the Bender carpet factory (in 1908 renamed to Warszawska Akcyjna Fabryka Dywanów - Warsaw Carpet Factory Stock Company), occupied the entire length of the Polna street side, with a smaller reception building constructed along Marszałkowska.refref Because of that it received a dual address: Marszałkowska 3/5 and Polna 4/6. Nearby, at Marszałkowska 8 (Polna 8) a three-story administrative building was constructed.refref The carpet factory went bankrupt in 1915, after Warsaw had been cut off from its' main markets in [[Imperial Russia]] by the frontlines of [[World War I]].refref