The Missionary District of Northern Texas was formed when a portion of the [[Episcopal Diocese of Texas]] was divided on February 2, 1875. Bishop Garrett named the oldest church in the district, which was [[...|Saint Matthew’s Episcopal Church]], as his [[cathedral|cathedral church]] and [[Dallas, Texas|]] as his [[Episcopal see|see]]. Saint Matthew's has remained the cathedral church of the bishop since that time. Bishop Garrett served until his death in 1924.
There are more than seventy parishes and schools in the diocese. The diocese is involved in many national and international [[missionary]] [[outreach]] programs. The principal offices of the diocese are at the Diocesan House, which is, along with the cathedral church, located on the former site of Saint Mary's Episcopal College for Women. The diocese divided in 1983, the [[Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth (Episcopal Church)|]] was formed from the division.
== The influence of the Anglican realignment ==
The Dioceses of Dallas along with the [[Diocese of Western Louisiana]] are opposed to the but have chosen to stay within the Episcopal Church. The Diocese of Dallas approved, at its 2006 Diocesan Convention, an amendment to the Diocesan constitution that it would break with the Episcopal Church only if that body were no longer part of the worldwide Anglican Communion.ref A vast majority of the Diocese of Fort Worth, on the other hand, voted to break away from the Episcopal Church in 2008. Additionally, several conservative parishes, including Christ Church, Plano, purchased their properties from the Diocese of Dallas and are now aligned with Anglican bodies other than the Episcopal Church.
[[Image:DiocesanHouse.jpg|thumb|left|250px|The Diocesan House of the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas, Texas.]]
The Episcopal Diocese of Dallas is led by the Rt Revd [[James Stanton (bishop)|]], sixth bishop of the diocese. On March 29, 2008, the Revd Canon [[Paul E. Lambert]], canon to the [[Ordinary (officer)|]] in the diocese, was elected bishop [[suffragan]].ref
Dallas was an affiliated member of the [[American Anglican Council]], which reunites orthodox Anglicans in North America, but is no longer listed in their website.