== Introduction of new edibles to Goan cuisine ==
The Portuguese brought [[potato]]es, [[tomato]]es, [[pineapple]]s, [[guava]]s and [[cashew]]s from [[Brazil]] to Goa. Of these tomatoes and potatoes were not accepted by the [[Hindu]]s until the late 20th century. The most important part of Goan spices, the [[Chili pepper|chili]], was introduced to Goan cuisine by the Portuguese which became immensely popular. All these above mentioned ingredients were not used in Goan cuisine before the advent of the Portuguese.ref== Hindu cuisine ==
Hindu cuisine is mostly vegetarian, and partly [[Lacto vegetarianism|lacto vegetarian]]. Hindu cuisine mainly uses less heat, [[tamarind]] and Kokum for souring, and [[jaggery]] for sweetening. They use [[asafoetida]], [[fenugreek]], [[Curry Tree|curry leaves]], [[Mustard plant|mustard]] and [[Vigna mungo|urad dal]].ref It is not very spicy; less [[onion]] and [[garlic]] are used. It also includes more vegetables, [[lentil]]s, [[pumpkin]]s, [[gourd]]s, [[bamboo shoot]]s, [[root]]s, etc. It is less oily and the medium of cooking is coconut oil.ref
* called Humann ('हूमण' in [[Konkani language|Konkani]]) and [[rice]] ('शीत' or 'भात'), also known as Kadi or Ambot.
* Fried fish (तळील्ले नूस्ते)
* Fish Suke or Dhabdhabit (सुकें) – Dry spicy preparation of fish, eaten as a side dish.
* Fish Udid Methi or Uddamethi (उद्दमेथी) – Type of curry consisting of [[fenugreek]] and [[mackerel]]. A vegetarian version of this dish is also prepared using (or anything sour and tangy such as pieces of raw mango) and fenugreek.
* Kismur (किस्मुर) – A type of side dish normally consisting of dried fish (mostly mackerel or shrimp), onions and coconut.
* Dangar or fish [[cutlet]]s (डांगर)
* Kalputi – It is a dish prepared normally from the head of a large fish, onions and coconut.
* [[Bhajji|Bhaji]] or Shak made of different vegetables and fruits (भाजी or शाक)
* [[Khatkhate]] (ख़तखतें)
* Tondak, made of beans, [[cashew nut]]s, etc. (तोंडाक)
* Different varieties of sweets made of rice and lentils, like Payasu, Patoli, Madgane, [[Kheer]], etc. (गोड्शें)
* Different varieties of pickles and [[Papadum|Papad]]s (लोणचे or पापड)
* Solachi kadi, a spicy coconut and kokum curry (कडी)