== History ==
The name 'Gordon' first appears as the name of the survey parish covering most of the upper north shore, assigned by the NSW Surveyor-General Sir [[Thomas Mitchell (explorer)|]]. This is believed to commemorate [[...|Sir James Willoughby Gordon]], with whom he had served during the [[Peninsular War]] and who was the quartermaster-general of the regiment in which Mitchell had served. The survey parish, and later suburb and municipality of [[Willoughby, New South Wales|]] also commemorates his name.ref
Settlement of the area commenced about 1820. The early settlement at Gordon was originally known as Lane Cove. The earliest school at 'Lane Cove', as Gordon was then known, was established at the behest of Governor Macquarie in 1816.ref The first Lane Cove Post Office opened on 1 February 1860. The name of the village and Post Office was changed to Gordon, after the Gordondale estate of Robert McIntosh, on 1 June 1879.refref Gordon Railway Station on the was built in 1888.
[[Gordon Public School]], now used as a library, was constructed in 1878 on the Pacific Highway, having been designed by George Mansfield. A Gothic Revival style was used in accordance with the tradition that educational buildings, like churches, were designed in a Gothic style. A second block was added in 1912. The school was originally called Lane Cove School, and the name was officially changed to Gordon Public School in November 1885.ref The school buildings are one of the few remaining buildings that date back to the pioneering days of northern Sydney. It is listed on the [[Register of the National Estate]].ref The Gordon Public School was closed in 1987, however East Gordon Public School and West Gordon Public School remain nearby.
[[Annie Forsyth Wyatt|Annie Wyatt]] was the founder of the [[National Trust]] in Australia. She lived for a time in a single-storey cottage in Park Avenue.