For over 400 years Chyrow belonged to [[Przemysl Land]], [[Ruthenian Voivodeship]], [[...|Kingdom of Poland]]. It was a private town, which belonged to the Ossolinski and the Mniszech families. In 1772, following the [[Partitions of Poland]], Chyrow was annexed by the Habsburg Empire, and remained in Austrian [[Galicia (Eastern Europe)|]] until late 1918. In 1872, the town received rail connection with a rail station, and in the 1880s, the Jesuit Collegium was established here. In 1913, the population of the town was 3,400.
In late 1918 and early 1919, heavy Polish - Ukrainian fighting took place in the area of Chyrow (see [[Polish–Ukrainian War]]). The war was won by Poland, and until the 1939 [[Invasion of Poland]]), Chyrow belonged to the [[Second Polish Republic]]. According to the 1921 census, the population of the town was 2,654. In the interbellum period, Chyrow was part of County, [[Lwow Voivodeship]]. Occupied by the [[Red Army]] in September 1939 (see [[Invasion of Poland]]), the town now belongs to Ukraine.
[[Category:Cities in Lviv Oblast]]