One aim of the Mer community is to create, in a solid way, what previously was unable to be done with MeeGo; Mer is to become what MeeGo was expected to be but has not become. Also the Mer in future can become the MeeGo 2.0 when the Linux Foundation will assume it comply all MeeGo requirements as needed.
== Goals ==
Some goalsref of the project are:
* Openly developed with transparency built into the fabric of the project
* Provide a mobile device oriented architecture
* Primary customers are device vendors - not end-users.
* Have structure, processes and tools to make life easy for device manufacturers
* Support innovation in the mobile OS space
* Inclusive of projects and technologies (eg [[MeeGo]]/[[Tizen]]//[[...|EFL]]/[[HTML5]])
* Governed as a [[meritocracy]]
* Run as a non profit through donationsref== Architecture ==
Mer just provides the equivalent of the MeeGo core. The former Meego user interfaces and hardware adaptation are to be done by various other projects and by hardware manufacturers, which will be able to build their products on top of the Mer core.