[[File:Ogrodzieniec zamek 2.jpg|thumb|right|300px|The castle ruins at Ogrodzieniec]]== Ogrodzieniec Castle ==
Due to the existence of the [[Ogrodzieniec Castle]], the town is a popular tourist center, located on the [[Trail of the Eagles' Nests]] (note: the castle itself does not administratively belong to the town, it lies in the village of Podzamcze, 2 kilometers east of Ogrodzieniec). The castle was built in the 14th century by the Sulimczyk family. It is located on Góra Zamkowa, the highest hill of the [[...|Polish Jura]] (515 meters above sea level).
First stronghold was built here in the early 12th century, during the reign of [[Bolesław Krzywousty]]. In 1241, during the , it was burned and destroyed, and in the mid-14th century, new, stone complex of a mighty [[Gothic architecture|Gothic]] castle was built here. The castle guarded western border of Lesser Poland, and in 1470 it was purchased by the Salomon family, merchants from [[Kraków]]. It then changed hands several times, belonging to the Rzeszowskis, Pileckis, Chełmińskis and finally, the Boner family (since 1523). In 1530 - 1545, Seweryn Boner turned the Gothic stronghold into a [[Renaissance]] residence. In 1562, Boner’s daughter Zofia married [[Jan Firlej]], and the castle, as a dowry, changed hands once more. In 1587, it was captured by [[...|Maximilian III]], during the [[War of the Polish Succession (1587–1588)|]]. In 1655, it was seized by Swedes (see [[Deluge (history)|]]). Swedish garrison stayed at the castle for two years, which resulted in its extensive damage. In 1669, the castle was partially restored by its new owner, [[castellan]] of Kraków Stanisław Warszycki. In 1695 it was purchased by the Męciński family, and in 1702, once again it was destroyed by Swedish soldiers, during the [[Great Northern War]]. After the destruction, the castle remained a ruin, and its subsequent owners could not afford to rebuild the complex. It remained inhabited until circa 1810.