The 2 miles long metre gauge line from Benares Cant. to Benares City was opened between 15 March to 1 April 1899 as the Benares City branch of the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway. The Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway was absorbed by the East Indian Railway on 1 July 1925 but this line was worked by the Bengal and North Western Railway
and its successors from opening and was transferred to the [[North Eastern Railway (India)|]] on 27th February 1953.
The Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway built the [[Malviya Bridge|Dufferin Brige]] in 1883 with [[...|Frederick Thomas Granville Walton]] as Chief Engineer, and its line was connected to [[East Indian Railway Company]]’s line at [[...|Mughalsarai]].ref
It extended its main line from Moradabad to [[Saharanpur]] in 1881-86 and a branch line was opened from [[Lakhsar]] to [[Haridwar]] in 1883. The Lucknow-[[Rae Bareilly]] extension was completed in 1893.ref
The main line of Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway used to run from Varanasi to Saharanpur via Lucknow, [[Shahjahanpur]], Bareilly, Chandausi and Moradabad. With the opening of the Bareilly-Moradabad link via in 1894, the main line distance was shortened and the route via Chandausi came to be known as Chandausi chord. A branch line linked it to [[Aligarh]].ref
The [[Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh|]]-Moradabad link was established in 1898. The Varanasi-Luknow link via Rae Bareilly shortened the main line further.ref