The Port of Melbourne Corporation (PoMC) is a statutory body established by the [[Victorian Government]] to develop and manage the Port of Melbourne, Australia's busiest container port. The Corporation commenced operations on 1 July 2003, when it took over the management of the port from the Melbourne Port Corporation. On 1 September 2010, the corporation was re-established with a new charter under the [[Transport Integration Act]].
== History ==
:See main article, [[Melbourne Harbour Trust]]
The Melbourne Harbor Trust was established in 1877 after several boards of inquiry to improve access for shipping to Melbourne.
The Trust engaged the British engineer [[Sir John Coode]] to advise on port improvements. Coode produces a scheme involving a large dock basin (), and straightening the river through a new cut (now known as the [[Coode Canal]]. Dredging and dock construction began in 1880, with the canal opening to shipping in 1886, opening in 1896 and dock-work and continuing into the 1920s.ref
The North and South Wharves were extended downstream, and in the 1930s-50s [[Appleton Dock]] was constructed, followed by [[Swanston Dock]], and [[Webb Dock]].
In 1978 the Harbour Trust was reformed as the [[Port of Melbourne Authority]], moving from its Market Street head office to the [[World Trade Centre (Melbourne)]] in 1983. The Port of Melbourne Corporation was formed on 1 July 2003, taking over the former [[Melbourne Port Corporation]], and the [[Victorian Channels Authority]].ref