After King Christian V's ascent to the throne, the Prince's Mansion was taken over by Crown Prince [[Frederick V of Denmark|Frederick (V)]]. He completely altered the building from 1743 to 1744 with the assistance of Royal Master Builder [[Niels Eigtved]]. In 1757 [[Lauritz de Thurah]], Eigtved's successor as Court Architect, carried out a minor expansion of the complex on the corner of Frederiksholms Kanal and Stormgade.ref=== Other residents ===
Later in the century the royal family discontinued their use of the property and instead it came into use for other purposes, mostly as a residence for artists, courtiers and other peers with close ties to the court.ref[[Image:Prinsens Palæ, c. 1800.jpg|thumb|200px|left|The mansion in c. 1800]]
For a while, the painters and [[Nikolaj Abraham Abildgaard]] both had their studios in the building. The latter also had his home there from 1779 until l787 and so did Court Painter [[Vigilius Eriksen]], who lived there from 1774 until 1782, and Professor [[Nikolaj Abraham Abildgaard]] who lived there from 1779 until l787. Geographer and explorer [[Carsten Niebuhr]], who had returned to Copenhagen as the only surviving member of the Danish Arabia Expedition in 1768, lived there from 1773 until 1778 when he accepted a position in the civil service of Danish [[Holstein]]. Among the statesmen who lived there were Foreign Minister [[Adolph Sigfried von der Osten]] and [[Ove Høegh-Guldberg]] who became de facto prime minister after [[...|Struense]]'s fall and lived there until his own fall as a result of the 1784 coup d'état.