Rytwiany, which belongs to the historic province of [[Lesser Poland]], has a rich and long history. First documented owner of the village was a nobleman named Piotr Bogoria Skotnicki (13th century), and across the centuries, Rytwiany belonged to a number of owners, including Cardinal [[Wojciech Jastrzębiec]], [[Hieronymus Jaroslaw Łaski]], the [[Lubomirski family]], the [[Potocki family]], the [[Radziwiłł family]], and several others.
In 1425 - 1436, Bishop Jastrzębiec built a defensive Gothic castle in Rytwiany, surrounded by the swamps of the Czarna river. The castle, partly destroyed in 1657 (see [[Deluge (history)|]]) was inhabited until the 19th century, then fell into a ruin, to be finally demolished in 1859. All that now remains of it is a [[fortified tower]]. In the early 17th century, when the village and the castle belonged to the [[Tęczyński family]], it was a cultural center of the region. In 1621, upon request of , [[Camaldolese]] monks settled here, building an abbey and a church. The monks moved to Warsaw in 1819, and their church now serves as a local parish church. In the late 19th century, the Radziwiłł family, who were the last owners of the village, built here a palace, which was remodelled in 2005 and now is a hotel.